Unfortunately, even the most cautious homeowners can experience floods or fires in their homes. In recent years, however, it has been possible to reduce that risk with smart home devices which can detect danger before it’s time to wreak havoc on your home.
These devices are attached to a Wi-Fi system and send you alerts via your smartphone when it finds something harmful. Here are some wise devices you’ll have on your house to help prevent water damage and fire disasters.
Water Leak Detectors
- These streamlined battery-operated apparatus are placed close to plumbing fixtures and appliances, such as sinks, toilets, bathtubs, and water heaters.
- It is possible to set them up to immediately sound an alarm or alert your smartphone (or both) if a leak occurs. This allows you to act quickly, whether you are at home or away.
- Some wise leak detectors come with automatic shut-off valves which you can control remotely.
- For more protection and control, install a comprehensive flood tracking system, which you can connect to your smart home security program.
- These devices send an alert to your own smartphone should they discover smoke or carbon monoxide (CO), or when the device has a low battery.
- Should you join them in a smart home security system, it may send alerts to your smartphone and the fire department in a crisis.
- Some smart smoke detectors can shut off your HVAC system if it finds smoke. This prevents smoke from spreading to other regions of the house.
- Use them in combination with fire/heat detectors for the best protection against fire.
- Smart fire detectors send an alert to your smartphone when:
- there is a rapid rise in temperature (rate-of-rise detection) or
- the temperature reaches a predetermined point
- You can decide on mixed heat sensors that offer both stationary and rate-of-rise detection
- They may also be connected to your fundamental security system for better management and security.
- In case you don’t want to substitute regular smoke alarms with intelligent ones, equip them with intelligent batteries.
- Smart batteries send immediate smartphone upgrades if one of those smoke detectors goes away or when the battery is reduced.
Oven Shut-off Devices
- As unattended cooking is the most important cause of home fires, an automated toaster shut-off device can help to prevent kitchen fires.
- They come as oven knobs or as devices installed in a kitchen cabinet.
- A Smart toaster shut-off device automatically turns off the stovetop or oven when cooking is left unattended. It does so by utilizing a motion sensor that can tell if you are in the kitchen. If you leave the kitchen, then the system starts a timer also, if you’re back in the kitchen by the end of the countdown, then it will shut the oven off.
- These are electric outlets which you can turn off remotely via a program on your smartphone. That helps if you’ve left home and are concerned you forgot to close off an appliance or perhaps your lights.
- Smart sockets can be voice-controlled if you’ve connected them to smart devices like Google Home and Amazon Echo.
Despite all the proper safety measures in place, disasters can still happen. If that happens, call the professionals to assist you to get your house and life back on course. For professional fire damage restoration and water damage restoration, then contact your local PuroClean office, click this link to learn more.